Progress will be completed in three stages:
Stage 1 • LAW & JUSTICE CENTER
New Construction • 21,800 +/- sq ft, 2-Story Building • 6,000 sq ft Sheriff Storage Facility • 328 E 5th Ave N
Projected Completion Date: 2021-2022
Currently, the majority of Stillwater County’s law & justice services are performed in the County Courthouse, a 15,000 sq ft space that also houses other government agencies. Construction of a new Law & Justice Center will expand our law & justice services, and protect law enforcement equipment. The new Center will house:
- The Stillwater County Sheriff's Office Provides general law enforcement, court security, dispatching, search & rescue operations and coroner services in a service area of 1,805 miles.
- Adult & Juvenile Probation Offers probation services working cooperatively with the Department of Corrections and other state agencies.
- Victim Witness Advocate
- Stillwater Beta Jail Altrntvs (a community-based correctional program) Reduces jail overcrowding, keeps indigent offenders out of jail, permits non-dangerous offenders to retain employment, saving the taxpayer money.
- The County Attorney Represents the interests of the County as the Chief legal officer.
- Clerk of District Court Processes all felony and probate cases, most civil cases, special actions and proceedings, and some narrowly-defined ballot issues.
- Justice Court Addresses cases involving misdemeanor offenses, civil cases and small claims.
Stage 2 • STILLWATER COUNTY OFFICE BUILDING
New Construction • 15,000 +/- sq ft, 2-Story Building • 300 Block of 2nd St Projected Completion Date: 2022-2023
Currently, the government services of Stillwater County are also in the County Courthouse. Stillwater County Government provides the foundation of services for our communities’ day to day needs as well as in the midst of community disasters. The new Office Building will provide enhanced and updated services to County residents including:
- Clerk and Recorder / Election Administrator
- County Commissioners
- Disaster & Emergency Services (DES)
- Dept of Motor Vehicles
- Economic Development
- Environmental Health
- Fire Warden
- Geographic Information System (GIS) & Rural Addressing
- Human Resources
- Treasurer’s Office
Stage 3 • STILLWATER COUNTY LIBRARY
400 E 3rd Ave N
Creation of a new Stillwater County Library on the Courthouse grounds will allow the County to provide all of the current services and much more:
- Books, audiobooks, DVDs, CDs, and magazines available for checkout
- Newspapers, public access computers, free wi-fi, printing, copying, and faxing services
- Educational classes
- Designated areas for children, teens and community meetings
Stage 3 • STILLWATER COUNTY COURTHOUSE
Revitalization • 400 E 3rd Ave N
Construction on the Stillwater County Courthouse began in 1919 when county residents voted to support a $75,000 bond. Billings architect Warren A. Dedrick designed the Neoclassical style brick courthouse which features two-story Ionic columns flanking the main entrance. Preservation of the building is a priority for the County, aimed at maintaining the historical integrity of the courthouse while also allowing it to continue to serve the people of Stillwater County for decades to come. Proposed enhancements to the Courthouse grounds include:
- Courthouse elevator access & new restrooms
- Expanded parking
- Outdoor ampitheater/classroom
- Sensory garden